Originally a medieval deanery, home to a College of Secular Deans attached to the Minster Church, Deans Court was greatly extended in 1725 by Sir William Hanham who build an L-shaped building to enclosed the original hall.
In 1868 the medieval hall was demolished and replaced. No trace of the earlier building now survives.
The gardens are open several times a year under the National Gardens Scheme, and for other specific events, such as the art exhibition that features in some of the photographs. See the official Deans Court web site for further information.
As well as the formal gardens, which are delightful, Deans Court is also home to Englandʼs first Soil Association accredited kitchen garden. Look out for the 18th century serpentine walls.