St Nicholas' Church
Although there has been a church on this site since around 1190, the present building dates from 1776, when it was completely rebuilt by the local landowner, James Frampton.
At that time, neo-classicism was still at its height, and the Gothic style was rarely used.
The church is also completely square (apart from the large semi-circular apse) with the font in the centre of the church, rather than by one of the doors. The prominence given to the altar and font is rare at this time when the 'Ministry of the Word' was all the rage.
But the most unusual aspect of the church is its windows. On the evening of October 8th 1940 at about 9 pm a bomb fell in the churchyard close to the north wall, destroying all the old stained glass windows, as well as causing extensive damage to the rest of the church.
When the church was restored in the 1950s, the Parish Council decided to commission Laurence Whistler to design a series of engraved glass windows. These were produced between 1955 and 1987, the last being the controversial Forgiveness Window, which was not installed until 2013.