When it was first consecrated in June 1798, seven years before the battle of Trafalgar, this cemetery was known as the Southport Ditch Cemetery. It didnʼt receive it current, more romantic name, the Trafalgar Cemetery, until some years after the battle.
With the exception of Nelson, who was transported back to London for a state funeral, all of those who died at sea during the battle were buried at sea.
A small number of survivors were brought to Gibraltar and died subsequently. Two of these survivors are buried here, Captain Thomas Norman and Lieutenant William Forster.
A peaceful and beautiful spot just outside the old city walls between the Southport and the Prince Edwardʼs Gate
There are now three gates though the old city walls at the southern end of Main Street that make up the Southport.
The oldest was built by the Spanish in 1552, the Coat of Arms of both Gibraltar and Spain are carved in stone above the arch. The second opening was cut by the British next to the Spanish one in 1883.
The third, much larger, arch was cut in 1967. This gate is known as the Referendum Gate, to commemorate the referendum in that year when the Gibraltarians voted by an overwhelming majority to remain British.