The Royal Victoria Railway
Royal Victoria Railway
Tucked behind what was the Guardhouse of the St George Barracks, a short stretch of railway line has been relaid. This is on the course of a line built for Queen Victoria in 1846, the year after she purchased Osborne House on the Isle of Wight.
It ran for 605 yards (550 m) from Gosport's main station to the private Royal Victoria Station (also known as Gosport Clarence Yard). When not being used by the royal train, it carried goods to the Royal Clarence Victualling Yard and its fuelling jetty.
All that's left of the Royal Victoria Station
The station was solely for the use of the Queen and her retinue, and it was her route of choice to get to the Isle of Wight. It closed following her death in 1901, her coffin and mourning family being the last passengers
It was demolished in 1971 with the exception of a short length of the curtain wall. The site is still MOD land and is not accessible to the public. However, the end of the curtain wall can be seen from the Royal Clarence Marina, incorporated into the end wall of a later building.