Looking Towards Upnor Castle
Just a few photos of Lower Upnor, taken on the walk between the public car park and the pub, the rather excellent if eccentric Pier Hotel.
This passes the Arethusa Venture Centre, run by Shaftesbury Homes. This is named after a succession of training ships named or renamed Arethusa, that were moored, first at Greenhithe but later here, for over 105 years.
The figurehead of first HMS Aruthusa, launched in 1849 has recently been restored and is displayed in the grounds of the centre. According to the nearby plaque, she was the last British Naval ship to go into battle wholly under sail.