Skip to content

Location

Kerry Map

Looking for all the world like a cut-away drawing of a castle, the remaining half Ballycarbery Castle stands on the shore of the Ferthy River opposite Cahirseveen. It was built in sixteenth century by the McCarthy Mórs clan but may have been occupied by the ancestors of Daniel OʼConnell, co-founder of the Catholic Association and local hero.

The castle survived until 1652 when it was partially destroyed by Cromwellian forces.