Bartolotti House Amsterdam
The Barltolotti House was built in about 1617 for Willem van den Heuvel, a brewer, who by gaining monopoly of Russian grain became one of the richest merchants in Amsterdam.
On inheriting a large sum of money from his Italian great-uncle, he adopted his uncleʼs family name, Bartolott, and changing his first name into Guillelmo.
His stylish mansion was designed by Amsterdam’s most celebrated architect Hedrick de Keyser.
It is sometimes opened to the public on the second weekend in September as part of the Open Monumentendag, Heritage Open Days, scheme.