Waxham Great Barn was built around 1570 by local landowners the Woodhouse family as a display of their wealth.
At 180 feet long, it is the biggest in Norfolk beating their rivals the Paston family's barn by 24 feet.
Much of the material was recycled. Its roof includes beams made from an old wherry mast and some oars, while its walls have buttresses taken from three local priories that were bought by the Woodhouses after the dissolution in the 1530.
Four single story wings (shelter sheds for cattle) were later added to the barn and one of these has recently been converted to a cafe.