As is so often the case, Stoke-sub-Hamdon Priory was never a priory. It was originally home not to monks, but to five priests.
Built in 1304, it was a college for the chantry chapel of St Nicholas in the nearby manor house of John de Beauchamp, 1st Baron Beauchamp.
By 1460 the college had fallen into disrepair, and it was rebuilt on a smaller scale to house only a provost and two priests using some of the original material. It is the Great Hall of this building that survives.
For opening times please check the National Trust's official site detailed below.
View from the Porch
After the Abolition of Chantries Act of 1548 the college buildings were sold, and it became known as Parsonage Farm. It was let to a succession of tenants.
The college was converted to a private house, and it was significantly renovated and extended over the succeeding years. Many of the farm buildings remain; some are in poor condition and are fenced off.
The property was bought by the National Trust in 1946. The newer part of the building fronting on to the street is tenanted, but the Great Hall and the old farmyard with its 15th century Tithe Barn are open to the public.