The Swing Bridge
Although the River Esk has been crossed at this point by a bridge since at least 1351, the current Swing Bridge dates back to 1908, replacing an earlier bridge of 1835 that was too narrow.
This bridge was designed to provided the maximum width possible and there is 100 feet (30.48 metres) between the centres of the two piers.
It was designed by J Mitchell Moncrieff of Newcastle-upon-Tyne, and constructed by engineers Heenan and Froude of Manchester (best known for the Blackpool Tower).
It is still very much in use and, subject to demand, it is opened to let boats and ships pass on the hour and half hour for two hours either side of high tide.