Swanage Water Act Obelisk
The Swanage Water Act Obelisk is strangely invisible from afar. Partly because it is not very big, and partly because it is tucked below the summit of Ballard Down, in front of a large round barrow.
The inscriptions are difficult to read but appear to state that:
This Obelisk was placed here by George Burt, to Commemorate the introduction of pure water from the chalk formation into Swanage
The granite was taken down from near the Mansion House London and re-erected here
There is an old print from before c1880 in Old and New London by Edward Walford, showing the obelisk in its original position outside the Church of St Mary Woolnoth on the corner of King William and Lombard Streets in the heart of the City. It was probably removed when Bank Underground Station was built, and was re-erected here in 1892.
There is a metal plaque recording its more recent history:
The Obelisk was demolished in 1941 to avoid it being of assistance to enemy aircraft during the war. It was re-erected by men of 129 (E. Riding) Field Squadron Royal Engineers (Volunteers), under the direction of Capt. R.Alton, R.E. The lowest section was found cracked and was mounted beside the obelisk. II.VII.73